Tuesday, August 17, 2010

is PepBoys Scamming Consumers?

Like everybody else, it comes a time when your car needs service or a little TLC.

Mine was in need of some service in a clear Sunday of August... brakes to be exact.
Passing by a PepBoy, I decided to stop and ask:  Front brakes and Alignment for a Rav4?
Few minutes after, I was given an estimate of $258, and told to make an e-appointment if I was later satisfied with the estimate.

Exibit A.

Your eyes have probable noted the "Ceramic Pads". Me too. So, I dear asked "What's the difference between semi-metallic and ceramic?"
I was told by the expert in charge: "They're quieter!" on a tone that smelled the "don't bug me with your stupid questions"
I was glad not to have received the "they are ceramic, the other ones are semi metallic" answer type, so I moved on.
They were just "the top of the line": The estimate started on a premium base...
So, off I go and arrived home, pressed by time and security, I decided to go for it.  Online at www.pepboys.com on the "new and improved website"
Followed the steps, and I was granted an e-appointment for the next morning at 10:00 AM, with confirmation email, and a great "you're good to go"

Exhibit B, C, D

I described the work to be done: Front Wheels Brake Pads + Front Wheels Alignment, and checked the box "Tire Rotation"
Exhibit E

As told by my dad, to feel the temperature, the firsts questions I ask are always questions where I know the answer: It give you an approximation of the sincerity of your interlocutor.
Ceramic Pads: Yes, they are quieter, they vibrates at such high frequency that you can't hear them, but they are also more resilient at high temp, and more gentle on the rotors.
I also went back to the car and marked the wheels FWR, (Front Wheel Right) FWL, RWR & RWL Just in case, to check the tire rotation asked.

Monday 10 AM sharp, drop the car:
All proud of my e-appointment and my good to go certificate via e-mail.
First bump: I am not in the system: No Appointment!  but! I do have the copy! tracking number, etc ..

- Nope! You are not in the system!
In the doubt, I went in stealth mode, and did not argue. August 2010? August 2100? did I take an appointment for 2100??
My printed e-appointment says August, 16, 2010. Checked!
Address is correct: Checked!
I am on earth,  Checked!
But still. Not in the system.    Rule #1 Don't fight the system.

I was anyway granted the privilege to drop my car:
Free Rear Brake Check?  Yes, why not!
Tire Rotation?   Yes, Please.
Front Pads?  Yes, Please.
Computerized Alignment?  Yes Please.

Off I go, waiting for that call that says "Your car is ready"

About 2 hours later, Phone call:
 Sir, this is PepBoys, yada yada.. you need an equalization of your rear breaks,  that's a $37 extra and your rotors are damaged, you need to change them.
Rotors?  Damaged I asked?
Yes Sir, they NEED to be changed!   The Total estimate is 300something dollars and xx cents
Then he goes on a detail of the operations needed....

Hum .., I did not hear you mentioning an alignment?

yes, Alignment! I asked for it

Ah! (typing noise ...)  $419 sir

And you are sure that the rotors need to be changed?
Yes sir, positive.

Ok, but I want you to keep the old parts and I want them. 


2:30 PM,  phone call: Your car is ready!
Off I go, pick up the car:
$419 , bit more than the original estimate, but the Rotors were in dire NEED to be changed .....
Out of "hunch" I asked again:  did you rotated the tires?
-Huh Huh (While punching keystroke on a keyboard)

The Amex cries a little, but slide away $419 anyway. get the keys , back to the car.

First Surprise!  

The tires bears the exact same marks, at the exact same position.  They were left "As Is" or, maybe, rotated twice? which makes the operation null and void.

then open the trunk, and take a look at the "damaged rotors" that NEEDED to be changed almost upon risk of road death.

SECOND Surprise!  

First look, First Rotor:  huh? he's ok! he seems ok! 

Second deep look: no cracks, no visible damage, still looking very thick. no lip.... 
Grabbed the rotor and went back inside the store...

Two guys at the counter, a mechanic, and a manager.

Hi, sorry, can you tell me if something is wrong with this Rotor? 
Both of them take an expert look, admire the rotor... and after 30 seconds, look at me and say:
No, it's OK. It's Not a new one, but it's ok!

I then paused and asked: So, why did you tell me that I was in "NEED" to change them?

At that point, I saw both faces changing.  a kinda "Oooops! we are in for an explanation"

The manager went on to explain to me, that, they it was "burned" and possibly "cracked", that the heat marks are showing "Overheating" and possibly an "hardening" of the surface of the rotor.
He went on to explain to me, that the "Overheating" had probably caused an "Hardening" "Like in a Keln " when you heat metal.

I interrupted the manager to mention to him that I had "some experience" and "few diplomas in the mechanical engineering field"

He then continued to mention a "glassing" of the surface and other highly improbable  cause to effect scenarios.

I then asked again: The Tire Rotation was done?  Yes! as we had to remove all four wheels, it's done automatically

Here again, when I mention the marking on the wheels, and that it had not been done, the faces changed again....

Fact one:  No Signs of damage on Rotor one, No Signs of unusual wear and tear. 
Fact two: To harden a steel, you need to heat it, and then cool it violently. Re-heating will tamper the hardening and soften the previous hardening (it's called tampering)
Fact three:  The "Blue Burn marks" indicates that the surface reached approx between 275 and 325 Celsius.  Which is a normal temperature for breaks.
Fact Four: To harden a steel, or a cast iron, you NEED to bring it to 730 Celsius or over. (1346 F +)
This is called Austenitization and exist above the eutectoid temperature of 1,000 K / 730C
Fact Five: At that temperature, Steel is Red to Red Cherry. If your Rotor reach that temp, you may notice some smoke, burn a tire, or create some sort of noticeable damage (!)

Fact Six: You can NOT harden a Steel/Cast Iron at 325, 500, or even 600 C.

So, even when confronted with the load of "irrational explaination" , The highly knowledgeable manager said  "that is were nothing he could do about it"
I did mention my slight impression of being "abused" or taken advantage of, but, no. Nothing.
The only solution proposed was "a Tire Rotation"
I did mention my intention to "seek a solution" even referring the issue to a higher authority, but it did not change the manager "point of view"

Step 2 : Seeking A Second Expert Opinion, Then a Third ..


I admit it: I am not an expert in Rotor per say, so I took my RAV4, the "So badly damaged Rotor" and went for a ride in direction of the largest Toyota Dealer in MA.  (Boch Toyota)
I asked to speak to a tech, and asked -again- the same question: Is this Rotor Damaged?
After a careful visual exam, the verdict came:  - Well, it's not new, I'll guess 30 or 35,000 miles, but it's fine. We can resurface if you want to.   (FYI, the car has 57,000)
I thanked the technician, and went to go back home to call PepBoys.

On my way home, I realized that, lucky me, another Toyota Dealer.  Ditto: Stop, ask , same answer! this time, without the mileage estimate.
Was I that crazy?  2 different Toyota Technician telling me that the rotor was still good, but the expert from PepBoys was still maybe right?  I did not checked the SECOND rotor!!!

OMG OMG !!! What if ????  

I opened the second box... anguish ...
Back side ... seems ok
Front side ..... Not OK.

The front side was badly damaged!!!


THIRD SURPRISE!!!

Damaged it was. 

Not by wear and tear... but by what seemed to be a careful removal with a hammer (sledgehammer?)
The Rotor took few deep hits in the face .... dead he was. for good.

EXHIBIT ... F
12 impacts, Electronically measured at up to deep.
Now I started to understand why the manager never wanted to put back the old ones back in place.....

Nota bene:
Do not try this at home:  Hit a rotor with a hammer and see how force you need to make to marks.

Note to self:  If the rotor was "hardened" by the "Overheating" could you make such marks?  please re-read your old books about Rockwell hardiness test, or the Brinell test. Hardened Steel would reach at least 90 Rockwell, no?
What would happen to the hammer? or the hardened Rotor?  would the hammer or rotor shatter and probably explode in your face?

To be continued ............














 






 

No comments:

Post a Comment